Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Black. Beautiful. Bold.



It’s February also known as Black History month! For many it’s a time to reflect on the struggle that many endured to get African Americans where we are today. But, what puzzles me is why many choose to only focus on February to be grateful for the progress made. I don’t need a month to define what being black is, or in other words to say that I am proud to be black. Black history month is every month for me. I’m blessed to be an educated young black woman; an education was something that I was able to obtain freely due to the struggles of those before me.





 I was raised by my parents to not see color but to view the person for who they are.

  When I attended Tusculum College in Greeneville TN I experienced what many would call culture shock. For the first time in my life, it was brought to my attention that I was BLACK…wait a minute really? I was told by older residents that my KIND didn’t belong there, was called the “N” with a “gger” not a “gga” either way I choose not to respond to either one. But, to make matters worse in 2003 a KKK rally was held right in the same exact area where I was attending school. I was shocked, scared, disgusted, upset and so naïve to think we had surpassed this point … but had we really? I laugh to myself now because at that point I didn’t  even think the KKK existed anymore.
 That moment brought tears to my eyes because there I stood a young black woman in college trying to make a difference, trying to prove that all the pain, the struggles my ancestors and civil rights leaders had gone through was not in vain.


I was confused and didn’t know what to do, some of the football players wanted to go to the rally and protest but thankfully the coaches held a mandatory practice to try and distract many minds off this awful situation. Other coaches also took the same approach and since I was an athlete as well we all were at practice. For my teammates and I the rally was all we could talk about, we couldn’t believe this was happening right next door. Who knows what would’ve happened if those students actually showed up to the rally…all I could say is that it would've definitely made the news but for all the wrong reasons. Not only was I in a state that was hours away from my parents, with this incident I felt like a target in a surrounding where some individuals made it clear that I was different and because of that they hated me.

Hate is such a harsh word and although my friends and I have been called the “N’ word before while residing in Greeneville TN I did not instill hatred in my heart. Why? Because there is no need to respond to anyone that calls me out of my name. That word does not have power over me nor will it hinder my progress. Instead I pray for GOD to change those individuals’ hearts, open their eyes and minds to change

Or in the wise words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. when he stated “I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”  Isn’t that what ALL parents’ desire for their children?

I was born and raised in Florida which is viewed as a huge melting pot of beautiful diversity. So, imagine this… me little miss sunshine state attending college in TN and experiencing the piercing stares when my best friend whom is also African American and another teammate whom was Caucasian were walking and chatting it up in the local Wal-Mart. WOW…I quickly noticed that to some of the older people in this state whom were probably raised in the time the civil rights movement and were taught by their parent to hate blacks would frowned upon this unity.
To them segregation was normal and signs that read “for whites only”


didn’t faze them then and that we were together laughing and enjoying one another’s company… was no bueno to them.  I had several incidents that made me fearful, upset and discouraged but it also pushed me to stay focused.  I was there for a reason, to get my college degree and that those incidents were outweighed by more positive times. I was able to see that everyone in Tennessee was not prejudice and my college had a great mixture of students from all over the world. We represent the future, we hold hope close to our bosoms, and we’re living proof that black and white can work together, like one another and in some cases even LOVE one another.

Prejudice is still very alive today but progress is something that takes time and year by year I believe things will continue to get better.

Because change has come I am able to say that I lived to witness the day the United States set aside color and elected Barack Obama become the first African American president.



Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had a Dream and thanks to him and many others that fought for equality I have the opportunity to live it.

Will I allow my dreams to be deferred? No…because tomorrow is not promised to me so I must act NOW! This young woman is BLACK, BOLD, BEAUTIFUL and not afraid to dream with her eyes wide open. Besides what would dreams be if we all dreamed in black in white? …why not be adventurous and dare to dream in color... a PLETHORA of colors.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said. I too attended Tusculum, I too experienced the culture shock, I too was jolted to a new reality that racism still is very much alive and it comes from all sides not just whites, for many blacks to hated the whites and it continues, however despite all this I too recognized the beauty of the experience. I met many beautiful individuals of all different colors shapes and sizes from all over the world. Despite the shocks the disappointments etc I enjoyed the experience. I'm glad I'm living in a time where the change is being recognized and we must all continue to work together to achieve it. The time is now for tomorrow is not promised. Let us not render evil for evil hate for hate (half the time it's just ingrained in them and they do not even understand that bad which they do) Nelson Mandela once said "People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love" there's no better way to teach than by example.

    ReplyDelete